Thursday, October 30, 2008

Week 7

Things are pretty much the same this week other than the fact that I don't feel so hungry all day.


We have decided that we will be using a mid-wife during my pregnancy as well as for labor and delivery. I really hope to have a natural water-birth delivery at a birthing center. We've decided to go this route for many reasons. Caleb was on board with this idea years ago. I had to do my own research in order to feel like I could do this or that I even wanted to do this. But now, it just makes so much more sense to me and I am actually very excited to have the opportunity to do it this way.


The nearest birthing center is in Allen, about 30 minutes from our house. It is an old Victorian house with 2 birthing suites upstairs. All pre-natal appointments are done downstairs. The mid-wives are certified-nurse mid-wives. Our first appointment with them was this week on Tuesday (one day shy of 8 weeks) and so is our first sonogram! We were able to see our little baby with a strong heart beat of 149 bpm. It was such a great sound, hearing the heart, and amazing to see the little spot on the screen that is our baby! Based on the sonogram measurements, my due date is June 22. Based on my last period, my due date is June 17 which is what I will go by because I am told that that is usually most accurate.


After our sonogram, our mid-wife, Amy, talked to us about the do's and don'ts as well as things to expect that are "normal." She did a brief breast and pelvic exam, then drew some blood for a few routine lab tests.


Being pregnant seems so much more real now! It makes me so happy and excited!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment