Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 4th Weekend


The fourth of July fell on a Monday this year. Not that it really makes a difference to me which day of the week a holiday comes on because my days are the same, but it did mean that Caleb had the day off resulting in a long weekend. And I'll always welcome that! 

With a five-week-old baby and a two-year-old, we didn't plan to do much. We went swimming at my parents pool on Saturday and because my mom is out of town with the little boys, we had the pool to ourselves (the rest of the family was out doing their own thing). Caleb actually stayed in the house with Hudson and let me be outside with Savannah. I was happy to be in the sun, hoping to put a little color on my pasty white skin. Savannah loved every minute of the three hours we were there. In fact, she loved it so much, we took her back to swim on Monday after her nap. 

We went to church on Sunday morning and headed to lunch with my brother and sister-in-law as we typically do on Sunday's. Joy had bought Hudson a cute little outfit for the 4th of July and a matching one for her son (Hudson's cousin), Keifer. We couldn't pass up the opportunity for pictures, so we snapped a few outside of Olive Garden after we ate. 

Momma's and our boys.
 The cousins.
 Me and my babies.
 Our sweet little family.

Once we got home after lunch, our whole family was lucky and able to each get a 2-hour (much needed) nap. And because of that, we were rested enough to head to the lake and spend time on our friend's (Bryan and Jennifer) new boat.

Savannah had never been on a boat before or to the lake and we were taking Hudson, too, so this was bound to be an adventure. The only reason we decided to go was because the "boat" was actually a yacht. So there were two bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen and most importantly, there was air conditioner!

We didn't know this until we got to the boat dock, but the yacht was already out at a beach so we took Bryan's Seadoo boat out to the yacht. Savannah was not a fan of being on this boat and started to cry. Hudson was hungry and therefore he was crying. I was about to sweat to death and felt like we had half our house in tow, so I was on the verge of crying as well. By the time we made it to the yacht, I knew this was not a good idea. I was miserable already. I got on the yacht immediately and into the air conditioner.

But, thankfully, I was wrong. We had a great time!

I spent the first 30 minutes in a room feeding Hudson while Caleb got Savannah lathered up with sunscreen and into her swimsuit then he took her out into the lake to swim. When I was finally finished feeding Hudson and we had both cooled off, I took him up onto the top of the boat to see what Caleb and Savannah were up to. They were in the lake and Caleb told me that they had already gone to play in the sand, but Savannah really loved being in the water. This was perfectly clear when it came time to get on the yacht and head back to the dock for a bar-b-que dinner. She cried and cried because she wanted to swim.


We ate a great bar-b-que dinner and enjoyed a live band on the dock. Savannah danced to the music and was in a great mood the entire night. The firework show started just after the sun went down (a little after 9:00) and Savannah really enjoyed watching that. Unfortunately, I didn't take any more pictures, but Savannah sure did love her "uncle" Bryan and being on his "big boat". It was so nice just hanging out with ADULTS and getting to do things we did pre-kid days. It wasn't quite the same as it was back then, but it was still nice! We had such a good time, we ended up staying out at the lake until 11:00 and actually look forward to spending more time out on the lake this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment