Thursday, August 30, 2012

New School Year

I have been so excited about this new school year for several reasons. The biggest reason is because Savannah would be attending the Wee School in town {no more 20+ minute drive one way} and I have heard so many excellent things about the program. Caleb was so awesome to  stand sit in line for registration back in February. 

Let me tell you a little more about registration. The Wee School is held at the Methodist Church and is offered for ages 2 thru 5. Members of the church get the opportunity to register first then registration opens to the public the following day, but space is very limited {only 12 students in Savannah's class}. We aren't members of the church, so we already knew spaces would be even more limited once we had the chance to register. We had the option on a Mon/Wed class, Tues/Thurs class or all four days. Savannah has always been going on Tues/Thurs, so we really wanted to stick with those days and those would be the same days Hudson would be in MDO {more on that in a minute}. 

At the end of registration day for church members, I had called to talk with the Wee School director, Colleen. She informed me that once the church members had registered, there were only 3 spaces available for Savannah's age group in the Tues/Thurs class. She then went on to say that although registration for the public did not begin until 9 a.m., she highly recommended getting there early. Very early. She said last year when we got there at 7 a.m. on registration day, there were people waiting at the door and had been there since 5 a.m. 

CRAZY!!! 

This is a Wee School, not Harvard! With that being said, I knew there was no way I could be up there in the cold and dark at that time of day. So I pleaded my case with Caleb and he willingly agreed to get up early to be in line. 

Registration day came and Caleb loaded up his lawn chair and a blanket and headed over to wait in line. He got there at 4:45 a.m. He was SIXTH in line! The first person in line said he got there at 3 a.m. When Colleen arrived at 7 a.m., she handed out numbers according to where you were in line {Caleb obviously got #6} and everyone was free to leave. She gave everyone stern reminders that just because they had that number, there space was not guaranteed. They had to be present at 9 a.m. sharp for registration and if they weren't, they lost their spot. This is seriously the craziest thing I could ever imagine we would be doing in order to enroll our child into a pre-school program. But my heart was set on this and Caleb knew it.

When he came home just a little after 7, he told me what number he had and that he knew at least 2 of the other 5 people in line were there for the 3 year old class. What?! There was a huge chance that we Caleb could have gone through all of this and we still not end up getting the days we hoped for or even in any class at all. It was all so crazy!

Well, Caleb dared not be late for the actual registration and when it was all said and done, he signed Savannah up for the very last spot available in the Tues/Thurs class. I was SO excited and happy!!

So here we are, seven long months and tons of paperwork later, going to "Meet the Teacher" day and preparing for our first day of a new school. They call the event "Sundae's on Sunday" because after meeting the teacher, there were ice cream sundaes for everyone.

Savannah's teacher is Ms. Amy. Her husband is the pastor of another church in town and she is so sweet! {The teacher's aide is Ms. Cheryl, but Savannah wouldn't let me take their picture}.
 

Savannah had fun exploring the room and was so happy about this being her 'new school'.



We enjoyed our ice cream sundaes and then Savannah said she wanted to see her classroom again. She did not want to leave!



A few days later, we went to "Meet the Teacher" night at Hudson's new 'school'. Last May, Hudson went one day a week to the place Savannah had been going to MDO since she was 15 months old. I initially enrolled him there for this school year because there was nothing close to us that offered anything for children until the age of 2. 

But towards the end of summer, I got an email from a local church that I had contacted earlier in the year about MDO. I was told back then they didn't offer anything until the age of 2, but in this email I was told they had decided to open it up to the younger children and wanted to know if I was still interested. I sure was!

Although this MDO is not in our town, it is still so much closer than the 20 minute drive I would be making each way. It is also convenient enough for Caleb to take and/or pick up Hudson if need be. As an added bonus, Hudson's teacher is someone that I know pretty good and I knew she would be GREAT with Hudson {with is always comforting}.

Hudson didn't waste anytime exploring his classroom and checking out all the toys.



He even went to his teacher Ms. Whitney without hesitation.

I am so excited to see what new, fun things both Savannah and Hudson learn this year! I know they are in excellent hands and in programs that will be so good for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment