Monday, September 10, 2012

Babies, Babies, Babies

I think Savannah has been hit with 'baby fever'. Almost daily, she is telling Caleb and I that she needs a baby. A real baby. And more specially, a baby sister. She says that 'we already have a baby boy, Hudson' and now we need a new baby girl. 

I think I know how this thought process began for her....

In the first week of August, my good friend Jamie gave birth to her third baby. After already having 2 boys, she finally got a girl and named her Brantley. It was just a few days later that Savannah and Caleb got hit by the tummy bug, so we waited a couple of weeks before going to meet Brantley.

When the sickness was gone and our calendar had some free time, I took Savannah and Hudson with me over to Jamie's house to meet miss Brantley. It didn't take long for Hudson to warm up to Jamie's boys, Langston {3 years old} and Riverson {22 months}. The three of those boys got out every single toy and were having a great time playing. 

Savannah, however, wanted nothing to do with the toys and everything to do with the baby. Jamie handed Brantley to me within minutes of us getting there. I probably only held her for about 5 minutes before Savannah was whispering to me that she wanted to hold the baby. So, I got Savannah all set up in a chair with a pillow under her arm to help her support Brantley and then laid the baby in her arms. 

She.was.in.heaven. 

 

We were at Jamie's house for about an hour and other than Brantley needing to eat at one point, Savannah held her the entire time! If Brantley got fussy, Savannah was quick to offer the pacifier or whisper "shhhh" in her ear and made sure the blanket was keeping her covered.

{Savannah was also keeping an eye on the boys.}

When it came time to leave, Savannah started to cry, saying she didn't want to leave the baby. By the time we got into the car, she completely fell apart. She was literally crying her eyes out for 10 minutes. I kept telling her that we would come visit Brantley again and she would just tell me "No, I just want one {a baby}." 

When we got home, I asked her if she wanted to show daddy a picture of her holding the baby. She said "NO! I just want one." She did tell Caleb that she got to hold Brantley, but her main focus was that she needs a baby. A baby girl. And if Caleb said "well, what if we have a baby boy?" she would quickly reply, "We already have a boy, Hudson. We need a girl!"
She is reminding me a lot of myself when I was so desperate for a sister.

Today, a few weeks later, our sweet friends Tim and Stephanie came over for lunch. They brought their two little girls. Caroline, who turned 2 in February, and their second baby girl was born in June and they named her Savannah Anne.

My Savannah didn't want to play with Caroline. As you might guess, all she wanted to do was hold baby Savannah.

And once again, she could not have been more happy to be holding a real baby!

She was always right by baby Savannah.

Watching over her closely while baby Savannah got her first adjustment.

And attending to baby Savannah if she needed anything!

I think baby Savannah has a special place in my Savannah's heart...just because they have the same name. Savannah thought that was so cool! And just like when it was time for us to leave Brantley, Savannah cried when baby Savannah had to leave.

So, when Savannah says "We need a baby!", Caleb or I will ask her "Well, where are we going to get a baby from?" 
She's a smart one.... she replies "God will bring us one!"

*Disclaimer: No, I am not pregnant and we're not quite ready to add baby #3 to our family just yet. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment