Wednesday, May 1, 2013

First Dentist Visit





I know you're "suppose" to take your kids to the dentist when they turn one, but we didn't. In fact, Savannah will be 4 in six weeks and Hudson will be 2 in less than a month and we just took them to their first dentist appointment. 

We decided to take them to a pediatric dentist because I figured their office and staff would be more kid-friendly {and the price was the same as the dentist Caleb and I use}. Caleb and I both went since I wasn't sure how the kids do or what the appointment would be like. Savannah was called back first and they took her (alone) to have her x-rays taken and teeth cleaned. We were told that they would call a parent back if Savannah was afraid at any point. They never came to get either of us. =)

After much research on the topic, we have opted out of having the fluoride treatment. Caleb and I don't have any fluoride treatments and all of the toothpaste in our house is fluoride-free. We even got a special filter put in our home a few weeks ago the eliminate the fluoride from our water. Are you wondering why we are against fluoride?

A few minutes later, we took Hudson back for his turn which involved much less than Savannah's appointment. First, the dentist showed us Savannah's x-rays, which looked perfect. No cavities and all the adult teeth appear to be just the way they should.

For Hudson, we were asked questions like, "Does he use a pacifier and how often? Does he suck his thumb? How often do you brush his teeth? What liquids does he drink?", etc. Then the dentist looked at Hudson's bite and then brushed his teeth while telling Caleb and I what he was looking for or what we need to be doing at this point. He said Hudson's teeth look great!Both kids got a little goodie bag filled with floss, a toothbrush, a sticker and a balloon tied to the bag. Savannah also got a report card giving her an "A" in hygiene!

I was so proud of her for being brave, all by herself, at the dentist office and super proud of her dental hygiene.

No comments:

Post a Comment