Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Annual Family Canoe Trip

Yesterday, we drove 3 hours up to Tahlequah, Oklahoma for our annual family canoe trip. My family has taken this trip every July for as long as I remember since I was a kid. It's a short trip...only 2 days, but it always so much fun! We drive up there in the morning, spend the afternoon and evening on the water slide, at the pool, playing basketball or volleyball and have a cookout. In years past, we have stayed the night in little motels and bunk houses, but the past few years, we've stayed in little A-frame cabins. The following morning, we all load up on an old school bus which takes us up stream to the drop-off point. You have the choice to canoe, kayak or raft the 12 miles back down to the camp ground.

This year, Caleb and I weren't sure if we should go because Savannah was only 5 weeks old. Caleb knew it would be the most difficult for me since I am still breast feeding. But, my cousin, Zach and his wife, Amy, were going to be in town from Virginia and planned to go on this canoe trip. So, I thought that it would still be just as fun being able to hang out with everyone...I just wouldn't go on the 12 mile river ride.

Savannah did excellent on the car ride up there. Once we were there, she had a hard time staying on her schedule. She couldn't ever get to sleep and stay asleep for long. She didn't seem to be eating enough either. Those two things combined made for a very fussy baby. I spent most of the afternoon in our teeny, tiny room trying to get things back on track with her.

I was dreading how the night would go and we were sharing the A-frame with Jason, Joy, Zach and Amy. I just knew they were all going to hate us in the morning. To my surprise, Savannah did the best she had ever done. She slept from 10:30pm to 5:30am ...7 straight hours!! She didn't ever really cry during the night, just the little noises she makes when she is trying to wake up. And after she ate, she went back to sleep until we all got up later in the morning.

Since I wasn't able to float down the river with the rest of the group, my mom was so sweet and decided she was stay with Savannah and I. The group was only gone for about 4 hours. Savannah and I visited with my mom, but we also took a very good (and much needed) nap. After the group returned, showered and packed up, we were back on the road to go home.

I know I didn't do a very good job in making this annual trip sound very fun, but it really is! I just didn't do most of the fun activities this year and I mainly wrote all this to talk about how Savannah and I survived. All in all, she did great for her first night away from home. I did get a little frustrated, but it was still worth getting to spend the time with family and friends!

This is what we took only for Savannah...for ONE night away!

She loves to sleep on my chest.

Super cute!


I'll add more pictures once I get them from my sister...

No comments:

Post a Comment