Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Cake Decorating

If you've read this blog for long, you know that it is primarily about Savannah. And while this post is about her as well, it is also about something new I'm doing. Last week, my sister-in-law, Joy, called me to tell me about a cake decorating class she was going to attend and wanted me to come with her. It is held at our local Michael's craft store each Monday night for 4 weeks.

Our first class was last week. It is taught by a lady from the Wilton cake company and there are only five other ladies (aside from Joy and I) in this class. Last week, we mainly just went over how to make our own icing. different tips on baking cakes and going over the items we would be using in the class.

Our second class was last night. We had to bake and ice a cake to bring with us to decorate during class. I baked a red velvet cake and colored my icing blue. In class, we had three pictures to choose from to "decorate" our cake with: a cupcake, a hamburger, and a fish. I chose to do the fish because Savannah loooooves fishes!

The first step (after icing the cake) was to transfer a gel outline of the picture we choose onto our cake. 

I had to color the icing according to the colors I wanted to use on my cake. Here is my finished cake. Not bad, huh?


 After I picked Savannah up from 'Mother's Day Out' this afternoon, we went to the clinic to see her daddy and to share her cake with everyone. Savannah didn't waste anytime touching her cake...but then she didn't like having the icing on her finger!

The girls and Savannah's daddy sure did enjoy the cake! We even took the remaining cake down the our friends at the businesses next to the clinic and they all loved the cake, too!






In class next week, we'll be decorating cupcakes!

1 comment:

  1. I've always wanted to do one of those classes! Your cake is so cute! I really wish I could eat some cake now, or anything sweet, for that matter. ;)

    ReplyDelete