Friday, March 22, 2013

Faith Like A Child


Mrs. Cheryl is one of Savannah’s favorite teachers ever! Mrs. Cheryl is always so sweet and loving to Savannah and gave her extra special care during the first few weeks of WEE School when Savannah was being shy in the new environment.



A couple of months ago, we were told that Mrs. Cheryl’s dad had cancer. He was told he would live about 6 months without treatment {chemo and radiation} and only a year with treatment. Given those odds, he decided he would give the treatment a try, but if it was too hard on him, then he would discontinue what the doctors were advising.
Mr. Wright, age 68, along with his wife and several other family members, were all patients at Caleb’s office. So we have a lot of connections with this family and started to pray for them all. They are all Christians and were trusting in God.


Mrs. Cheryl was missing a lot of days at WEE School because of this sudden news and we told Savannah that Mrs. Cheryl’s daddy was sick and we needed to pray for him. So, just as she has done for nearly a year for Rosalie, she prayed daily for “Mrs. Cheryl’s daddy to get well.” She prayed for him at meal time, randomly throughout the day, and at bedtime.


On Sunday morning, March 17th, we learned that Mr. Wright had passed away. Caleb told me the news as we were getting ready for church and asked me if we should tell Savannah. I told him now wasn’t the time and that we would do it later.

We had a fun and busy day that day. After spending the evening with family, celebrating Kevin’s birthday, we were home to put the kids to bed. I was putting Hudson to bed as I usually do and Caleb was getting Savannah ready for bed. After I put Hudson in bed, I went into Savannah’s room to love on her and tell her ‘good-night’ as I do every night.


When I walked in, she was sitting in her little rocking chair and Caleb was laying by her on the floor. He said “Savannah, tell mommy what I just told you.” Savannah turned to me with the biggest smile on her face and in the most excited voice she said “Mrs. Cheryl’s daddy isn’t sick any more!!!” Tears filled my eyes instantly, but I replied “No, he’s not. He’s in heaven with Jesus, right?” And again, super excited, she said “AND THE ANGELS!”



It was in that moment that the phrase “faith like a child” took on a whole new meaning for me.



I know Savannah doesn’t understand death, but she knows how exciting it would be to be with Jesus and the angels. 

Later that night, I sent a message to Mrs. Cheryl with my sympathy and to tell her about Savannah's reaction to the news. This is what Mrs. Cheryl wrote back to me:
Amy, I have been working with children for almost 20 years now and even though I love each and every 1 of the children that I have worked with, once in awhile there's just that 1 child that holds a special place in my heart! My sweet little has Savannah more than taken that special place in my heart. I will always remember her sweet smile, her kindness and the love she has for others! Her little light shines every day and I hope that this ugly world never changes that! You and Caleb should be very proud and I want to thank you both for all all you have done and all your prayers.

Since that night, Savannah has asked me several times (on different days) when she gets to go to heaven because she wants to see Jesus and she's never seen him before. For my 3 year-old to be saying that, my heart melts. I am thankful for her excitement and eagerness to know Jesus and look forward to the day that she asks Christ to live in her forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment