Monday, December 20, 2010

A Log Cabin Family Vacation

For several months now, Caleb and I have been wanting to take our parents on a vacation. An all-expense paid vacation with us as a "thank-you" for being great parents. I was randomly looking online one night when I thought about a place up in Oklahoma, not far from us, with log cabins. I did a little searching and then before bed that night, I told Caleb I thought it would be a fun place to take our parents. One thing led to another and we decided to try to do a family vacation just before Christmas, rather than buying gifts.

I talked to our parents the next day to see what they thought of the idea and if the weekend before Christmas would work for them. They all thought it sounded wonderful and the time frame worked out for everyone. Since Caleb and I had planned to pay for our parents (as well as my three youngest siblings still living at home), we decided we would also invite our other siblings to join us for the fun and make it one big family event.

Unfortunately, Caleb's brother, Daniel, and his wife, Lindsey, were unable to be out of town while their parents were because of all the animals that needed to be tended to. We were sad to hear that Caleb's whole family wouldn't be able to make it, but I was elated to learn that ALL six of my siblings and my sister-in-law would be joining us! Not only all of my siblings, but also my brother's girlfriend, Emily, and my sister's boyfriend, Josiah, would be able to come. 

Once I had a head count, 16 of us in all, I was on the hunt for a cabin that would sleep that many people. I lucked out and found ONE cabin that would sleep up to 18 and not only that, but it was a beautiful cabin! I immediately reserved this 5 bedroom, 7 bathroom cabin. Complete with a hot tub outside, a game room with a pool table, and seven tv's each with a DVD player. Good weather or bad weather, we were bound to have a good time!

The weekend finally arrived and we had a caravan of vehicles making the 2.5 hour drive from north Texas to Broken Bow, Oklahoma. With a few wrong turns, we finally arrived at our home for the weekend, a huge log cabin!

Everyone raced around to claim a bed and explore the cabin. After the vehicles were unloaded, the ladies made out a grocery list and then set out to buy the groceries to feed this crew for the weekend.The men were in charge of the cooking ALL weekend and for our first night, it was hamburgers on the grill.

We spent the evening just visiting and enjoying the time with all of the family together. There was a lot of pool playing during the weekend:

And lots of card playing:

As well as story time for Savannah from her grandma's:




And of course, plenty of relaxing:






On Saturday morning, the men cooked a delicious breakfast of eggs, bacon, sausage and toast:


Kevin, Emily and Taylor had to leave mid-morning on Saturday to head back home in order to attend a 2:00 wedding of their friend's. We were sad to see them leave so soon, but enjoyed the time that they were able to spend with us all. 


Once dressed and ready to head outside, the rest of the group loaded up and went down to a river and on a hiking trail. This is where we took a LOT of pictures!!

Walking down to the river.
 My cute little girl.
 Mommy and baby.
 My parents with my two youngest brothers.
 My baby girl and my sweet sister.
 With my mom.
 Throwing rocks into the river.
 Too cute for words!
 I adore this picture!!
 'Hmmm...a pine cone...'
 Josiah and Abby.
 Goofy brothers!
 My brother, Jason, with Savannah.
 Jason and Joy.
 Caleb's parents.
 Our little family.
 Aunt Abby and Savannah.


Savannah had fun playing in the leaves:

And my favorite:

While we were out, we saw some deer and people fishing in the river:

Savannah was such a good traveler, was so good and had such a good time on vacation. Here are some random pictures of her during our weekend away.
 She wanted to go outside...
 ...but couldn't open the door.
We all really had such a wonderful time and I think I can speak for every one when I say I hope we can make this an annual event. After we got the vehicles packed up to go home, we gathered for a group picture (of those that were still there) and then a few family pictures.


I am so thankful for such a wonderful, close-knit family and the time we get to spend together! The memories that we make together are priceless and I look forward to many, many more!!


No comments:

Post a Comment