I realized just a few days ago that I have never posted pictures of Hudson's nursery on here, so now's the time!
When we found out that we were expecting a boy this time, I was really lost when it came time to do a nursery. We had planned on doing a safari/Africa themed nursery had Savannah been a boy. We wanted to use some of our own pictures that we took in Africa as decor. I kinda wanted to still do that, but I really didn't have much direction for the room as a whole. I just knew I wanted it to look less baby-like and more like something that would still be age appropriate for when he was 5 or 6 (or older), so that I didn't have to re-do the room in just a few years.
I was probably about 6 months pregnant before I finally got serious about figuring out what I wanted to do. I looked at all the boy bedding in the usual baby stores, but it was all so baby-like. I know that sounds crazy to not want a "baby-like" room for my baby, but I wanted this room to last for years to come. Something that could grow with him and not always feel like a baby nursery.
I searched the internet for ideas on safari themed rooms and the style of furniture I wanted, but there
honestly wasn't anything that I loved. I didn't even find a good idea. I didn't
like any of it and was clueless on what I was going to do. It didn't help knowing that my sister in law found out that she was also having a boy just a few
weeks before I had my sonogram and she had her nursery done less than a
month later. I felt behind and didn't know how this room was going to come together.
Then I decided to go to a boutique and look into custom made bedding, hoping it would give me a little inspiration. I explained to the lady at the store that I wanted to do a safari themed room and asked if she could show me some fabrics for bedding ideas. She started laying out a bunch of fabrics with animals and jungle type prints. Not at all what I was going for. I told her I wanted something with warm and rich colors and less of the baby and pastels colors/patterns.
She suggested a blue-grey color for the wall and also gave me a sample of that. Then I was given an estimate for custom bedding to be done. Let's just say it was outrageously expensive and not even all the furniture cost me that much! So, I was on the hunt to find the fabrics somewhere cheaper and someone that could sew for less.
I found the bumper fabrics at Hobby Lobby and I ended up buying the bed skirt fabric from the boutique. Where I really saved money was having the bedding sewn for FREE!!!!! That's right. Caleb's grandmother was willing to make the bedding for me. And I must say, she did a fantastic job!!!
Once I got the bedding situation settled, I was suddenly inspired about the rest of the room. I decided on the paint color after putting a couple colors up on the wall to choose from. I thought of the perfect way to decorate and became super excited about what I had envisioned for this nursery!
We hired a painter, had a custom corner cabinet/shelving built, I ordered the exact furniture I was had been looking for, I had the pictures from Africa enlarged and framed, I shopped for the accessories and got busy bringing it all together to look like this:
This picture of a lion (on the wall next to the bedroom door) and the two pictures (a zebra and a giraffe) above the rocking chair are pictures Caleb and I took while in South Africa back in September 2008.
My dad cut the wood and stained this. I got the vinyl lettering from a store on Etsy then covered it with decoupage and it hangs above the changing table.
My sweet and crafty friend Timina decorated these letters for me to hang above Hudson's bed.
A few close-up photos:
Where did I get...
The convertible crib? JCPenney.com
The changing table? Amazon.com
The rug? Walmart.com
The curtains? Target
The small table? Kirklands
The whole room turned out to be just as I had wanted. The colors and the theme are exactly what I had pictured and I think it is a room that he will be able to grow with for years to come!

No comments:
Post a Comment