When I was a little girl, my mom made several different dresses for me and my cousins. As I got a little older, she bought a child's size sewing machine for me and that's when I learned to sew. I made little patchwork blankets for my babies and I made a few stuffed animals for my siblings. That was about the extent of my sewing days.
Several months ago, before Hudson was born, I got super excited about sewing again! I wanted to start making some cute little dresses or outfits for Savannah. When I was telling my mother-in-law about wanting to sew, she told me that I could have her sewing machine because she never used it. It's a really nice Singer machine, so I brought it home and then within the next few days I bought a "simple" dress pattern and fabric.
Days, weeks and months passed. The sewing machine eventually ended up in the CLOSET of our spare bedroom. I thought about it often and really wanted to sew something, but I felt like I never had the time to get it out and re-teach myself how to sew. The biggest "road block" in my head was getting the machine threaded and learning to use the machine.
But, this past week I drug the machine out and forced myself to open the manual and see what I needed to do. When Savannah saw the sewing machine sitting in my room, she wanted
to know what it was. I told her that I needed to learn to sew and I
would make something for her. From that day on, whenever she would see the machine, she'd say "mommy, learn sew!"
After following 6 pages of step-by-step instructions on how to thread the needle, I got it done!!
That seriously took me one whole nap time to do and it was late in the afternoon, so that's all I did on day one. In between nap times, I watched a few videos on YouTube about a few simple sewing projects. I decided I needed to make something very basic in my "re-learning" process, so the following day I went to Hobby Lobby to buy boy fabric. I planned to make some burp cloths for Hudson.
I spent Saturday afternoon cutting fabric and pinning pieces together. That was the part that took the longest. And of course having my little side-kick Savannah "helping" me get things done. I managed to sew the following:
6 fannel burp clothes (3 with stars and 3 with stripes)
2 tag blankets
I gave one fannel burp cloth to Savannah for her to use as a blanket for her dolls. I made one of the tag blankets for my nephew, Keifer and I also gave my sister-in-law 2 fannel and 1 regular burp cloths for him.
Hudson loves to grab onto things and I think he really likes his tag blanket!
I bought more fabric yesterday to make Savannah and Hudson a stuffed animal and an outfit for Hudson. Once I complete a few of these easy projects, I'll attempt a cute little dress for Savannah.

Way to go Amy! I am so impressed. You knew how to sew before I did--remember the dog you made me with the signatures. I still have that!!! And remember how mad you were that Whitney wrote across it like she made it? Haha. I'm inspired to get over the sewing I have to do and make Tirzah something! :-)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Steph! And yes, I do remember that... haha! You'll have to post on your blog when you make something for Tirzah.
ReplyDelete