The big day was almost here. Our first vacation, a cruise, with Savannah. I was excited and nervous, but anxious to do a little traveling. We planned to leave our house at 8:00 on Saturday morning and make the five and a half hour drive down to Galveston where we would board the ship. Therefore, I spent Friday doing all the things that needed to be done before we left. My normal Friday responsibilities at the clinic. A pedicure (yes, this was needed) with my sister and sister-in-law. Last minute shopping for a few items to take on the cruise. Having my brother, Kevin, over for dinner. And of course, PACKING...for both me and Savannah. After tackling this, I sure did need a vacation. Who knew such a tiny little girl could require so much for a 5 day period? Actually, it wouldn't have been too bad if I didn't have to take things for both warm and cool weather (since I wasn't sure how cold it would be on the ship). Thankfully, my sister (aka "the nanny") also stayed the night and was a big help with Savannah while I ran around the house all day.
I managed to get the things for Savannah and this is what the pile looked like as I took it out of her room to load into the suitcase.
I managed to get the things for Savannah and this is what the pile looked like as I took it out of her room to load into the suitcase.
Saturday morning, the SUV is loaded with everything we could possibly need during these five days.
With her passport in hand, she was set for a road trip and her first vacation out of the country!
THE SHIP
THE ROOM
Abby's bed folded down from the wall above the bed that Caleb and I shared. The "crib" underneath was meant for Savannah, but she ended up in the bed with Caleb and I. Our "king size" bed was just two twin size beds pushed together creating a hump in the middle. This caused Savannah to roll out of the middle and ultimately end up right next to Caleb or I. Oh yeah, that made for some fun sleepin'!
As Caleb said, our bathroom at home is bigger than this room that "slept" three adults and a seven-month-old.
As Caleb said, our bathroom at home is bigger than this room that "slept" three adults and a seven-month-old.
This is Sunny. She was the "housekeeper" for our row of rooms. She is from Russia. Her accent was so nice to listen to and she was so great! She learned all our names the first night we were there and never forgot them. She was always more than willing to do whatever she could in order to insure we had what we needed for Savannah. She, along with every other staff member on the ship, adored Savannah. Since the staff sign a contract that requires them to be on the ship ten months at a time (then a two month leave), I think they enjoyed seeing babies/children that reminded them of their families.
A fun "towel animal" that Sunny left on our bed one night.
Aunt-nanny Abby taking good care of Savannah.
Savannah and I enjoying a view of nothing but water on a deck of the ship. The water was very choppy so we felt a little "tipsy" walking through the halls of the ship.
We planned to just hang out on the beach, so Caleb kindly went to get a lounge chair for me... until we were told it cost $8 just to sit in it. We scratched that idea and just sat in the chairs at the little restaurant (on the sand) instead.
Savannah just trying to take it all in.
Need to use the restroom? That will be $4.00 =)
It was so, so, so windy which made it feel pretty cold. We all were wearing shorts so I tried to keep Savannah wrapped in the beach towel to stay warm.
Just us one night at dinner. She liked to play with anything and everything in reach. Ignore the weird look on her face... I don't know what she's doing that!
COZUMEL
Abby and I being goofy.
A view from the ship of Cozumel.
Isn't the water beautiful!?
Savannah not wanting to wear her sunglasses. Her hat didn't even make it off the ship.
Letting her get her feet wet and walk in the sand.
A new texture. Gritty sand. She wasn't sure what to think about it at first, but it didn't take long for her to try to eat it.
Our little family after a day in Mexico. Notice the little hat we bought for Savannah. Yeah, she didn't like wearing it, but I held it on long enough for a picture!
Bath time! In the sink.
We barely caught the sunset before going to eat at the Captain's Dinner.
Our ship anchored down for a day in Mexico.
The girls!
Mommy and her sweetie.
One the the many delicious desserts.
Enjoying the luxury of all the food you want at any time without having to cook a thing!
Aunt Abby being the nanny.
A clown made hats out of balloons for Savannah and Abby. Savannah did. not. like. this.
The big hat goes on Savannah's head...
...Savannah pushes it off...
...and proceeds to cry.
Well, as I told Caleb, this was a vacation like no other.
All in all, our little family had a pretty good first vacation together!
Considering the situation, Savannah really was great!
She was happy and she slept as well as she does when at home.
But a seven-month-old and vacation don't really go together.
Nursing, three naps a day and an early bedtime.
Caleb threatened her to be an only child more than once.
Thank goodness for Aunt Abby, the nanny!We made the most of it and now have some more great memories. All in all, our little family had a pretty good first vacation together!
I LOVE this post!!!! I felt like I was there with you all! :)
ReplyDeleteThe picture of you and Savannah on the deck of the ship is my favorite. The lighting is perfect.
Sun and blue water in January is amazing! :)
I'm glad you liked it, Beth. Abby took that picture that you say is your favorite. She's so good at taking pictures. She was our personal nanny AND photographer on the cruise! Thanks for commenting, I like to know that people read this and what they think.
ReplyDelete